NICHOLAS PHILLIPS CV
Location: Bristol, Avon
I am a creative, dedicated and extremely motivated individual with seven years’ experience in the video game industry. I enjoy working as part of a team and using my creative and technical skills to produce 3D artwork of the highest standard.
- 3D Studio Max 2012
- Adobe Photoshop CS4
- Zbrush 4R2
- Mudbox 2
- Maya 2008
- After Effects CS4
- Adobe Premiere CS4
- Traditional Animation
- Concept Artwork
- Unreal 3.0 Engine
- Unity Game Engine
PTK Learning Ltd – 2011 – February 2012 ~ Sheffield
3D Creative Designer
- Created character & environment assets for eLearning projects for clients McDonalds & Asda.
- Used Facial Studio & Voice-O-Matic, 3ds Max plugins to create facial morphs & lip synching for projects.
Infusion Games Ltd – 2009 – 2010 ~ Bristol
3D Artist/Animator: Dancing on Ice (Wii)
- Animated ice skaters dance routines from Dancing on Ice show clips using 3DS Max, blended animation sequences in MotionBuilder
- Produced concept art & character models for Ultimate Banzuki a Japanese game show & Thunderbirds prototypes for the Wii, skinned and rigged characters for Ultimate Banzuki, ready for animation.
Eidos Games Studio - August 2008 – February 2009 ~ Bath
Senior Character Artist
- Producing Marketing assets, character and environment concepts for Highlander & High School Dreams (Wii) prototypes.
Pivotal Games - April 2007 – August 2008 ~ Bath
Senior Character Artist: Conflict Denied Ops 360/ PS3/ PC, Stormfury (prototype), and Warfare Afghanistan
- High and Low Poly modelling of soldiers, characters & equipment, generating maps to produce detailed textures
- Character concepts - produced templates to aid other character artists to model from, concentrating on cloth fold details, equipment.
- Knowledge of the character pipeline - rigging & skinning the completed character models before handing them over to the Animation Team
- Importing models & creating then applying shaders in the Unreal 3.0 engine
- Adding assets to Perforce 4 repository.
- Highly experienced with the latest versions of 3DS Max, Zbrush, Mudbox and Photoshop
Climax Handheld - October 2006 – February 2007 ~ 25-29 High Street, Kingston, Surrey
Artist on Elder Scrolls: Oblivion: Sony PSP
- Character skinning, clean-up, vertex lighting & exporting to Renderware
- Modelling & skinning all of the various race FP arms
- Using Perforce Repository
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe - 2001- 2005 ~ 15 Great Marlborough St, London
Eyetoy Play: PS2
- Produced concepts for mini-games.
- Modelled, textured & skinned characters for various mini games
- Designed all in game title screens using 2D & 3D
- Animated in-game characters
- Produced 2D resources for characters & mock-up screens for marketing assets
- Modelled 3D buildings from concept designs for career/story mode
- Animated career mode 2D backgrounds using Maya & After Effects
- Produced assets for in-game UI elements
Eyetoy Kinetic: PS2
- Modelled game objects to specifications as provided by concept artwork.
- Provided 2D assets for marketing purposes
Future-Fall (in-house PS2 prototype)
- Modelled & textured vehicles & objects from concepts designed by comic book company Com X
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
1996-1999 North East Wales Institute of Art & Design ~ Wrexham, Clwyd
BA (HONS) Design: Animation - 2:1 (Final Grade)
Final year dissertation: “Communication in the Digital Age”
1995-1996 ~ Northampton College
BTEC ART & DESIGN-MERIT (FINAL GRADE)
I am an avid gamer with a passion for 2D & 3D design, which started when I discovered Deluxe paint & Lightwave on my Amiga, this led me to pursue a career in the games industry. I own all of the current consoles as well as a PC on which I particularly enjoy playing first person shooters, RPGs and strategy titles. Some of my favourite games over the years have been the Resident Evil series for its awesome character and environment design, Ocarina of Time, Metal Slug, Streetfighter 2, Half Life, Total War series and more recently Skyrim & Gears of War 3, whose implementation of its character & environment designs I find hugely inspiring.
I keep up to date with the games industry on a daily basis with Eurogamer, Gamespot and Edge magazine, and the CG industry through CG Networks, 3D Total and various other CG websites.
My other interests include watching movies, reading, photography, drawing and sketching.
Available upon request.